Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Conservation Camp

Hey everyone! I got back from camp after having a lot of fun and learning a lot! I learned how to identify several diffrent kinds of trees that I didn't know before. I learned that there are 7 eco-regions in Arkansas, Ozark Mountains, Arkansas River Valley Plains, Boston Mountains, Gulf Costal Plains, Mississippi Delta, Ouachita Mountains and Crawley's Ridge! (Eco-regions are just the 7 different areas of Arkansas.) I have learned the names of 28 of the 75 counties in Arkansas, I also learned about stream bank stablization and edible plants! White oak, papaw, Green Briar, Poke, White Clovers and Day lillies are ALL edible! But asiatic lillies and poison ivy berries can kill you...however, fried day lillies are REALLY good! So are persimmion cinnamon rolls and acorn pancakes!


If you or someone you know is interested in learning more about protecting our environment, make sure they apply for Youth Conservation Workshop 2010 next spring! Just contact your county conservation office-if you need help finding where yours is located, let me know! I learned a lot and made some neat new friends! I hope I get to go again next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment